CVNE Contino Blanco 2019

Type: White
Country: Spain
Region: Rioja
Grape Variety: 100% Viura
Rating: 93 Tim Atkin

Climate: Continental climate with Mediterranean influence and extreme temperatures
Terroir: The Contino white wine is produced from Viura and Garnacha Blanca grapes. The Garnacha Blanca grape is harvested from the San Gregorio Encina estate, planted in 1980 on calcareous clay soil. The Viura comes from different areas of Contino, including the alluvial soils of the old Lentisco estate, the stony soils of the San Gregorio La Tabla, and the Santa María estate. All the vineyards are between 35 and 40 years old
Winemaking: The whole bunches are destemmed and placed in a stainless steel tank. The versatility of the steel facilitates pellicular maceration for a few hours. After this process, the wine is bled and pressed prior to alcoholic fermentation, which lasts for 20 days. Once fermentation is complete, 30% of the wine is transferred to a concrete tank, while the remaining 70% goes into new and used barrels of different types and capacities, ranging between 400 litres and 500 litres, where it remains for ten months

Color: Yellow with slightly golden meniscus
Nose: Great aromatic intensity and ripe white fruit accompanied by subtle notes of brioche, floral aromas and hints of butter
Palate: The palate is fresh and fruity, with great complexity and volume. A white wine that accurately represents the identity of the vineyard it comes from, with creaminess and elegance

About the Winery:
CVNE (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) is one of the most renowned and historic bodegas in all of Spain. Founded in 1879 by the Real de Asúa brothers, Eusebio and Raimundo, the company has been an integral part of the Rioja region’s ascendance in the world of fine wine. With their combination of traditional roots and innovative vision, CVNE has been one of Rioja’s most reliable sources of high-quality wine. The company is still run by descendants of the Real de Asúa brothers, now represented by the fifth generation with current CEO Victor Urrutia Ybarra.

Since its founding, CVNE’s goal has been to increase the scope of production while maintaining the level of quality on which its reputation was built. Forty years after the original bodega was created, CVNE expanded into the Alavesa region. Today, CVNE is comprised of three separate bodegas: Cune, Viña Real, and Contino. Each of the three estates produces a distinct style of wine from a distinct terroir, and each of their flagship bottlings occupies a well-deserved place in the pantheon of great Spanish wine